Sunday, 26 February 2017

Book Translations

I've been really lucky with the interest in my Make Your Own Neural Network book.

Some publishers have been interested in taking the book, but after some thinking I've resisted the temptation because:

  • I can price the books how I want .. this is important especially for the ebook which I want to be as cheap and accessible as possible. Some publishers will increase the ebook price by an order of magnitude!
  • I can update the books to fix errors, and have the updated book ready for people to buy within hours, and usually within 24 hours.
  • As an author who has spent lots of my own time and effort on this, I get a much fairer deal with Amazon than with traditional publishers.

However, I have agreed to other language translations of the book to be handled by publishers. So far, the book is on course to be published in:

  1. German
  2. Chinese
  3. Russian
  4. Japanese
  5. Korean

I love the "traditional animal" that O'Reilly have done for the German version:


I'm looking forward to more translations - personally I wish there was a Spanish and Italian one too.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Tariq, first of all - your book is an awesome read! I worked through your examples and even did the calculations by pen and paper! To follow up on neural networks I would love to take one of your versions you are sharing on github and extend it with some, imho, cool functions like "store" and "load" the net configuration (weights) and visualize the hidden layer while querying the net. As you are providing the examples in jupyter notebooks, I would love to convert them to normal .py files, are you fine with me just copying the code and not fork your repository? For sure I will link on your blog/rep within the readme. But I feel like coding within an IDE makes it much easier for me. Greetings from Austria! Cheers Mario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mario

      sorry for the late reply!

      Yes of course - please do take the code! Your idea is great .. adding load/store is something a few people have asked about.

      I'd love to hear about your work, and I'd be very happy to link to and share your blog.

      I know that more advanced readers like to use an IDE.

      Thanks from London!

      Tariq

      Delete
  2. Dear Tariq,

    I just bought the German translation of your book and read within two days. I am not working in IT-Business but since I left school end of the 1980's I am interesting in stuff like that.

    The chapters I am missing are how to train a network from the scratch and working with Boolean. It was good to train it with the given database for a learning purpose. But how would it work to start from the scratch.

    I thought e.g. about teaching the network when the light in the bathroom is switched on/off with a kind of prediction.

    Greetings from Germany (with rusty skills in English and Algebra)

    Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marco

      To train a network from scratch you do need a training data set. That is, example of what the correct output should be given a set of inputs.

      For an example like a bathroom light, you would need to think about what the inputs are. They could be time, light, temperature, humidity and so on. Once you have a data set which represents what the correct answer is (light on / off) you then need to think about what size of neuralnetwork you will need. This will depend a lot on the kinds of input parameters. In practice, many professionals will experiment with different sizes and shapes of networks until they find a good one, and then use that.

      I hope that helps a little. Let me know if you need more.

      Delete